Saturday, October 08, 2005

Time to move on....

I think it's known as speaking too soon. All that talk of health and lovely food and then bam...I've just spent most of the week in bed after what started with bad food posioning turned into dysentry, and well I guess you best go look that up if you don't know what it is, so I don't need to go into the rather charming symptoms that this entails.
I am now on antibitotics and feeling better, if weak and considerably lighter (again). Tevo and Roisin are fine and appear to have the constitutions of an ox. Lee's been a little under the weather and may have ameobic dysentry but we can't get laboratory tests done here, as it takes a week, so he too has started taking antibiotics.

This has meant we have been holed up at the hotel, although the upside is that Tevo and Roisin have caught up with lots of work and their journals are looking fab. They've been out with Lee to a few local sights (which I'm sure he'll write about). But it really is time to move on as Manali has lost its shine a little (and its getting rather cold now).

In a day or two we are leaving for Naga and then Kullu, for the first two days of the festival and then onto Dharamsala. From there, our first train journey (to where we don't know yet) but we're all are very excited it.

Jackie

3 Comments:

At 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my renaissance hotel denver related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

 
At 5:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,

My my you are keeping the diary up to date well. Hopefully you have recovered/ fought off the nastys.

I have had a tame adventure of my own, Spain for a week. So just getting back in the swing of things. News from the front. Ranny has had a baby boy, called George. Don't know many more details. Lots of curly hair and Ranny is positively beaming.

Enjoy your trip. take care.

Stats

 
At 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

we got your postie too, ta. Good advice from Ro. The spam took me by surprise - how irritating it gets everywhere.

Just back from my Italian class. I have heard that eskimos have a hundred words for types of snow and I think Italians have as many words for coffee.

Parvatti valley is great. We ate at a fab place called Mama SomethingOrOther's and had the most delicious meal. If you have read Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries you will regobnise the phrase 'Seasoned by our immense hunger the food tasted ..'. I thinkg her place is just outside a village called Jari. We found it after coming down from the Chandrakani pass via a village called Malana. Appologies for the duff spellings - it was 10 yrs ago. She was like the housemaid in Tom and Jerry only even more scary. The rule is that you can eat as much as you want as long as you leave nothing on the plate. Watch out for the chocolate cake - its very strong.

There is a fab Sikh temple at Manikaram at the end of the road. We went through there and then on foot to a village called Pulga. From there we went on up to the hot spring and shrine where Shiva spent a thousand years meditiating. The only other person there was a gut tending the shrine. There is a little hut where you can stay and make a fire. It was freezing and we took too little food. We had to share a tub of peanut butter and a loaf of bread. So we made PB koftas and nearly choked to death on the smoke from the fire. There is a hot spring with a fantastic view of 60000m tall snow capped peaks that surround you. Ladies are supposed to bathe inside a special hut but there a no view from in there. Its a bit parky when you get out and get dressed.

I have had my slides transferred to jpegs so I will try to convert them to gifs so they are small enough to e-mail to you.

Hope you are all feeling better.

Cheerio Johnny xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home